Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
A quick clean up in the engine bay, and that received a lick of paint too
Now, Saxo’s are renowned for rust, and a little investigating found a hole in the rear arch
and then some in the other side
It was at this point we decided we would remove all the factory underseal in the arches, AND underneath the car. First the arches were stripped back to bare metal, then the rot removed followed up by a trip to R-Timmis to have the welding done.
Once done it was time for two coats of red oxide, two coats of undercoat, and two coats of top coat for added protection. (Sadly no photos of this stage.)
Then, it was time to tackle underneath. There were two options, crawl under the car on my back and work underneath the shell, or buy a roll over jig and work with the car on it’s side. It was a no brainer after finding out about Handling Solutions they offer a cost effective solution to what can be an expensive piece of equipment for the job. So with that, one was ordered and a week off work booked. The jig arrived and was erected with ease, fixing to the car was simple as Handling Solutions discuss the mounting options on a car-by-car basis and make the mounting kit specific to the car you want to use the jig with. A bit of leveling up and we were in business!
Unfortunately, photos of progress from here to present have dried up a little, but the whole of the under carriage of the car was cleaned off, two coats of red oxide, one coat of undercoat and two coats of top coat, then it was put on to the sill stands to harden off for a week or so.
So, with the car home from Beaniesport it was time to carry on getting the car ready.
We stripped out all the tar paper from the footwells, and felt from the rear arches.
Whilst collecting the car from BeanieSport, Dad came with me for a day out. Whilst at the workshop we were shown around the collection of cars they were working on, they have some really interesting projects on the go and are a genius at custom wiring looms. Dad commenting that all the cars they had looked better with the cage painted the same colour as the cars interior, I told him if he liked it so much, he can paint the cage himself … which he did!
and then it was just a matter of fitting it in the car!
The original plan was to do ALL the work ourselves with the help of my good friend Kev. I bought a welder and we set to fitting the cage, unfortunately, a combination of a crap welder, and Kev not being in his comfort zone of material thickness, plus the fact I wanted loads more bits and bobs doing, the decision was made to send the car to have the work done by somebody experienced welding thin French tin.
Beaniesport were churning out some fantastic work, and a quick call to Chris and the car was booked in. Work to be done was – Completed cage install, non-sunroof skin installed, sill stands, a few holes repairing, sump guard fitting, seat rails installing (including harness eyelet plates) and hand brake reinforcement of the tunnel.
I’ll let a few photos do the talking.
I’ll try and remember to carry on updating this to the current date status over the next week.
Sorry for the radio silence! Progress has been huge since the last up date though.
With the car progressing well I decided to thin the wiring loom out.
and then I decided to look at how bad the rust on the shell was … it was pretty bad and looked like it was going to cost to get all the work done. At this point I looked on E-Bay for secondhand shells and found one for £20! Bargain! and it looked in decent condition, so Dad and I went and collected it.
and then the work started on transferring everything between shells.
I won’t bore you with every detail and photo, but first off was make the new shell watertight (as shell one was still in the garage,) and a few hours on a Saturday morning saw the sunroof, boot, doors and windows on shell two. Next up was to remove everything that wasn’t needed – sound deadening, old heater matrix, a selection of pipe work and a butchered wiring loom. The shell was ready for preparation to be ‘Rally-fied’
So, to get you up to speed with where I am with the car, I’ll just type a load of words about what has happened.
So I bought a Safety Devices Cup Car Cage for a 106, these fit a Saxo the same, bar a bit of cutting to the dash, but have the benefit of fitting to the boot floor rather than the rear wheel arches. Much better in my opinion.
I then found out about micro heaters, so the decision was made to take out the heater matrix and replace with a micro heater from T7 Designs. This involved making a fibreglass “funnel” to fit the Saxo dash converting the windscreen vent to a round fitting that would connect to the heater.
Whilst the dash was out to fit the heater, I took the onerous task of cutting all the redundant wiring out of the entire wiring loom inside the car. There was loads of it! All the electric window wiring came out, central locking, rear heated screen, stereo & speaker wiring, complete airbag module and the seat belt pre-tensioners. I’ve still got a bit of tidying to do, and the heater needs wiring in as I’m hoping to use the standard Saxo heater controls with my micro heater, but I’m not far off putting the dash back in and getting the cage fully fitted (plates need welding in)
I have also bought a new roof skin which hasn’t got the sunroof hole in, this came attached to the top half of the 106 it came off, so I spent a couple of days drilling spot weld out. I have been informed that the works S1600 cars pop-riveted the roof skin of with a bead of sikoflex, so this is how I shall be fitting mine, myself! after the cage is fully fitted though!
I’m also keeping my eye out for a secondhand Motordrive seat cheaply to allow me size up and locate comfortably for weld in seat rails, I’m also going to be buying a welder so hopefully with the help of one of my best friends we shall be doing all the work ourselves.